Ceramic manufacture in Gmunden looks back on a rich tradition as "Gmunden ceramics" is still a byword today signaling outstanding craftsmanship and quality. The Steingutfabrik AG Gmunden-Engelhof was founded here in 1924. Together with the Wilhelmsburg factory, the company changed its name in 1960 to Österreichische Sanitär-, Keramik- und Porzellan-Industrie Aktiengesellschaft (ÖSPAG). In 1967, the Keramik Holding AG LAUFEN acquired a majority stake in the company and in 1999 LAUFEN became part of the Spanish ROCA Group.
Bathroom ceramics from Gmunden are primarily characterized by their outstanding quality that is certified to the international ISO 9001 and fulfills all technical test standards (EN). The factory specializes in the manufacturing of intricate ceramic elements. Environmental protection also plays a key role, LAUFEN Austria AG is certified to ISO 14001 and assessed according to the provisions of the EMAS regulation. LAUFEN Austria AG was awarded the EMAS Environment Prize 2007 for its outstanding environmental achievements.